carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
You are a grump.

Yes, I know Doge is not new to cycling or the bike forums - he and I have argued extensively in other forums, and my wife met him in person at Collegiate CX nats last year. And yes, Doge does brag about his kid, and he is probably overly involved - Todd Marinovich comes to mind. Still, he is new to track racing, and as you have argued countless times, track is different from road. So yes, I think it is fair to say he is new.

Also, Carleton, I like you and appreciate your perspective, but I've noticed you tend to be a bit harsh to people who do not necessarily follow YOUR way of doing things. Doge is one of two people I can think of right off the bat who have not followed your suggestions.

I point this out because if we really want to increase the number of people racing on the track - and I know you do - we need to be more welcoming to people who are new to this niche within a niche sport.
What exactly have Doge and I disagreed about from your POV?

As I recall, the major point is that he complains that his son shouldn't have to go through the upgrade process and be granted immediate access to P/1/2 Track races based on his Road results.

After at least a year, possibly 2, his son is still Category 4 for track despite living in a city with a track that is covered from the elements with a vibrant track scene.

I assume that his son, as a college-aged adult in the USAFA, can make his own decisions and pursue an upgrade on his own. Why this hasn't happened is not clear. Doge and his son are only "new" to Track racing because they choose to be so. They have been exposed to it for years.. There seems to be the attitude that, track is a lesser sport than road racing and thus if son excels there then then the "lesser sport" should welcome him with open arms.

You may know Doge personally and he may be able to charm the socks off of a kitty cat, but that's not how he presents himself here.

With kindest regards ,

Carleton