Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Talk me off the ledge (Race Promotion)

It's the time of year where I have finally finished up putting on all of the races I put on in a year. The last race of the season is next week (unless I make my way to nationals the following week in louisville). In general I have 1 race of the year that "makes" enough money to cover the shortfalls of all of the other races of the year that I put on. This year, while pre-registration was high enough (read: equal to last year) the day of attendance was the lowest I have ever had at any of the races i have put on in the last 8 or 9 years with this series.

People aren't coming to races. Road or Cyclocross. You bring it up and you're instantly the ******* in the room. Make a tongue in cheek podcast to talk about stuff like this and there's no end to the people that rank you up there with the most vile humans you can imagine. I've listened to riders/racers, support staff, promoters, national organizers come up with lists and lists of "why"s for years. "Entries are too high", "Not enough payouts", "There's too many payouts", "The Payouts aren't equal", "They payouts are equal", "bikes are too expensive", "training on the roads is getting more dangerous", "There's not enough mentor based support in clubs anymore", "there aren't enough races", "There are too many races",

I've seen people make changes one way and no one comes. I see them make it the other way and no one comes. I have watched people put on clinics for years - no impact.

It's no secret that by being active in racing and having an industry based company I have taken a vow of perpetual poverty. I get that it's my own fault. but never fail - at this time of year when the tents get put away and the all of the support gear is cleaned and fixed and replaced I start reflecting on why the f I still continue to do it.

I wouldn't be the first to fold it all up. I know I wouldn't be thought less of for walking away. In fact I would simply become another in a long line of people that gave everything, got used up and burned out and then walked away. I've effectively got the second largest team in the state. Last year I hosted 3/5 of the races in our Illinois Cup (this year 3/7). Every year we put on 4-5 days of racing. I'm currently on the board for our USA Cycling Local Association.

Is there still any value or purpose to continuing the struggle even knowing the futility of it? Are we better off just letting it all come crashing down driving the point home for everyone in hopes that maybe they'll start getting that attendance is near mandatory if events are to continue?

There's no solution here - just discussion. I know I will just get back to doing it again this next year because that's what I do. Is there any meaningful change that can truly be made that hasn't already been tried?