View Single Post
Old 04-07-19, 11:02 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Sackaroo
Thank you guys for the ideas. I will not be carrying any cargo as I will have a SAG van following me. Also, since I plan on using this bicycle quite a bit for many years, I don’t mind spending $5-$10K for the “ideal” bike new. I live in Miami and cannot find a store that has several recumbant bikes for me to test. Therefore, I am running blind here and will need to rely on all of your recommendations. I’m not sure if a LWB or a SWB would be best. It seems like underseat steering would be more comfortable; but again, I am ignorant as it relates to these functions. Thanks again for any help!
You won't need to spend $10K but $5K is certainly possible. Just. If you are going to spend that kind of money on a recumbent you owe it to yourself to learn much more about them. The same way you found this forum. Online. Or go to a dealer of several brands of different kinds. I have a SWB (highracer) myself but for the kind of riding you are contemplating I don't think a (high performance) LWB is a bad choice. You don't have tons of choice when it comes right down to it. Isn't Tour Easy going under? Bacchetta Bella? Hmm. Linear (underseat steer). Recycled Recumbents (Tour Easy copy). Hell, with your budget you could get something custom made. The HP Velotechnik bikes are indeed made for heavy touring as are AZUB bikes. SWB. Some models with USS (underseat steering) but unless I way miss my guess you ... are 'of a certain age', and those SWB USS machines require the kind of innate balance that comes with relative youth. This is not to say that you couldn't learn to ride one but creesh its supposed to be FUN. FWIW.