View Single Post
Old 04-10-19, 06:47 PM
Sackaroo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
First it's a recumbEnt, not a recumbAnt. Second, there is no answer to that question. Recumbent bikes come in a full range of capabilities, just like upright bikes in general. Just as you wouldn't compare speeds from a road bike to a BMX bike, you can't compare a road bike to a "recumbent bike" without more specifics.

Speed is based on weight, frame stiffness, and aerodynamics. A highracer or lowracer can have superior aerodynamics, which matters at higher speeds; but many average riders can't put out enough power to take advantage of superior aerodynamics.

Thank you for the spelling correction - my bad! Let me rephrase by question a little “tighter”. Let’s compare the “best touring” Trike, recumbent, and Upright bikes ... pick any three for purposes of this question. Assume ALL conditions are EXACTLY the same (assume zero cargo for this discussion), assume true weight of each bike, assume same rider, same ride exactly, same wattage spent, etc... I understand this is theoretical in nature, but i want to understand clearly the difference in performance between these three types of bicycles.