View Single Post
Old 04-11-19, 09:44 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Sackaroo

Thank you for the spelling correction - my bad! Let me rephrase by question a little “tighter”. Let’s compare the “best touring” Trike, recumbent, and Upright bikes ... pick any three for purposes of this question. Assume ALL conditions are EXACTLY the same (assume zero cargo for this discussion), assume true weight of each bike, assume same rider, same ride exactly, same wattage spent, etc... I understand this is theoretical in nature, but i want to understand clearly the difference in performance between these three types of bicycles.
I see what you're trying to do, but where it breaks down is: the same rider (you) is likely to be FAR more familiar with the feel, handling and performance envelope of a DF bike. For a long time that will influence the results they find when they start experimenting with different platforms. I don't have the numbers exactly but I don't think I am too far off in saying that trained ... super trained DF riders have reached 30mph and could sustain it for a very short time. Minutes. 25mph could be sustained for maybe an hour. If that same rider had a car driving ahead with a large fairing shielding the rider from aerodynamic drag forces ... well I think the current record is well over 100 mph!

When you lay the rider down, their aero profile gets better, but it doesn't result in 100mph top speeds. Also their whole balance mechanism gets screwed up. It goes against every instinct of balance to do it while lying on your back! That hurts performance. THATS the main reason for trikes. The penalty for having the better aerodynamics of a sharply reclined rider are worth the higher weight and unwieldiness of the trike platform. Maybe. Some people indeed are able to balance high performance recumbent bicycles very well and they will achieve superior level ground performance to DF riders and trikes. You probably won't be able to do that on your first ride! Maybe not even the second or third. Much depends on age and other factors.

From your questions it sounds very much like you have never even sat on any kind of recumbent. Why not fix that. An earlier poster suggested you find the Bicycle Man, and if you live in reasonable driving distance, I agree, that would be a trip well worth making. I personally never did but I have corresponded with him online and talked with him a time or two on the phone and found him very informative and willing to share his knowledge even when there is no obvious pay-off. A rare trait in these times. This really is on you my friend. All we can do is offer our favorite form of the drug. This is Saki, her and Big Red were purchased August 2017. My first taste of recumbency. The pretty one is what they call a 'highracer'. The seat is reclined 25*. It can recline down 20*. Set up properly Saki would be an excellent bike to do a 1000 mile point to point event on. Bicycle Man doesn't sell racing craft but you should start there, I think. You have questions. I did not. It was love at first sight. Good luck.