Old 04-26-19, 05:21 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What Does Your Username Mean?
Originally Posted by Biker395
There is a thread on the general forums about this, but not in the 50+ group.

I was just curious about our usernames. How did you pick yours and what is it's meaning to you?...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
BTW, I don’t list my location under my avatar, but it is “D’uh” [in Kenmore Square].

Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Whenever I see a series of nested quotes, I think "it's Jim from 'Duh' again."
Mine is not as obvious as it seems.
Boston…Jim from Boston. D’uh.

Actually, besides the simplicity and utility of that screen name, it has a deeper meaning. I’m an avid radio talk show fan, and when I (rarely) call in, I’m introduced as Jim from Boston (…and now here’s Jim from Boston. What’s up Jim"?).

My nickname on the thread "Metro Boston: Good ride today?" is JfB and a sophisticated BF subscriber on that thread once addressed me as ”James de Boston”; wished I had thought of that.
Just this morning on the 6-7 AM segment of the Jeff Kuhner talk show on WRKO, he discussed proposals by mayor Marty Walsh to decrease the speed limit in Boston to 20 mph, and increase the number of bus and bike lanes. He was vehemently against it, as were many of the callers, with snide comments about cyclists.

I called in as Jim from Boston “speaking for 'Boston’s cycling community' ” [since I knew I would be the only cyclist calling] and introduced myself as his Number One Fan among Boston cyclists. I made two points: bicycles are entitled to be on the road, and the more cyclists, the fewer other cars, and the more parking spaces available.

Jeff was pretty gracious, but I (accidentally) got cut off. Afterwards, he made some reasonable remarks about my call, but took me to task to speak for Boston’s cycling community, as “another protected class.” (Another WRKO talk show host, Howie Carr, once referred to us as Spandex-Americans. )
I often introduce myself on the Forums as “Boston…Jim from Boston.”

As a corollary,
[My avatar] is a photo of the Prudential Center (“The Pru”), a 52 story building, taken out our living room window the night of the Patriot’s SuperBowl win. It replaced a similar view of “Go Sox.” The daytime view is of the same side.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-27-19 at 03:56 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: