Old 05-02-19, 10:04 AM
fat2fit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Heavy Rider - New Road bike - what should I know?

Hi,

I just got my first road bike. I have been riding an entry level mountain bike but often found myself traveling on pavement most of the time and it really made me want to get a faster bike to commute around town. I found a used road bike in great shape and was a high-end bike at the time of it being brand new.

My bike is a 2014 Opus Allegro 3.0. It's full carbon with 21mm rims, and 20 spoke wheels front and rear. I've ridden it around for about an hour before buying it and everything seemed solid, and I had it inspected at a local shop. It has Shimano Ultegra groupset and rides awesome. I do have a few concerns. I did find a source for the wheels and they suggest do not exceeding 120kg for long-term, thats 263lbs - so I'm right on the mark if you add in my bike+gear. I may be actually over that limit by a bit, but once I drop some lbs that will be okay. Is this just a suggestion for long-term riding, or will they still hold up to a heaver rider until I can afford to lose some weight?

I used to weigh 360lbs, I'm down to 250 right now and plan to continue to drop weight into the 200 range, buying this road bike was to help me achieve my cardio. I've been reading some things and have a few concerns.

Will my 20 spoke wheels be okay at my weight? They are: Mavic Aksium Elite wheels

What should I put in for tire pressure? I've never owned a road bike that has super narrow and hard tires like this bike does. I will need to purchase a new air pump that can pump these up, can you recommend anything under $50.00 that I can keep in my backpack while I ride? I was told to run up to 150psi if I can, due to my weight.

Anything I should lookout for or be aware of on this bike? Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited by fat2fit; 05-02-19 at 10:12 AM.