View Single Post
Old 06-01-19, 09:33 AM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mikster
Fair enough I will keep my XTR setup....Just a question for any of you that owns the XTR derailleur and shifter...should my gear shifting feel super crisp and smooth compared to the Sram GX?? I manage to get my hands on a GX system yesterday and their shifting felt a lot smoother then mine which lead me to think that my setup is probably off tune...i mean XTR is support to me a level higher then the GX no?
Take this for what it's worth. I've never had 11 speed anything. I have heard the newer drivetrain systems do require more precise adjustment. I have a 1x10 Shimano Zee set up and its bomb proof. I haven't had a single problem, once it was adjusted correctly. But then again I do my own maintenance and do it frequently. I've have perfect feeling shifting since the day I installed it.

Having said that, shifting issues can be attributed to many things. You may be better of dropping it off at a shop if you aren't too sure of the correct solution.

It could be your cables are stretched and need adjusting, or just a simple replacement. You may have dry housing that needs a couple drops of lube. Or, depending on how old they are need replacing. Your derailleur could be damaged, but probably not. I would rule out the other simple adjustments before I went that route. You may have a bent derailleur hanger. That's actually fairly common and a really easy fix. You would just need a new hanger. If you don't know, hanger clips are very specific to each bike. Once you know your bike model and year you can get a new one. Again a shop should be able to help with that if it becomes too much hassle or you're unsure. All shops should have a tool to measure your hanger to see if it is indeed bent. If its only slightly bent they may be able to bend it back without replacing.

All the above issues I mentioned apply to almost all bikes regardless of the age and number of gears.

Hope that all helps