Old 06-07-19, 12:02 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
A friend is from Suriname; she doesn't like when DC gets hot & humid but she's a bit spoiled.. Out of curiosity I researched the climate: yes it's humid but the weather is very consistent, temps over 92° are quite rare. In fact the forecast for Paramibo next week is 85° F high every day, not all that bad, has to be more comfortable than Austin TX 100° F. She says all the kids grow up riding bikes but apparently there's not much of an adult cycling culture. OTOH she says the country is so small that folks are inclined to follow social norms so hopefully the drivers are fairly polite. One can camp in the jungle at will, I've heard the locals are tough & don't mind the mosquitoes. The butterfly park near Paramibo is pretty famous. Suriname would probably get more tourists but the coast doesn't have sandy beaches.
Don't mind the mosquitoes huh? They must have some pretty passive mosquitoes then? As someone who grew up in the deep south I can say that mosquitoes are terrifying to me and always have been.

The ones you encounter in the southern states can be ravenous, and do all the things we're told mosquitoes are never suppose to do like swarm in the mid-day. In that, the science behind mosquitoes couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not exaggerating when I say they can literally dive bomb you and inject you with their cell liquefying saliva that can take years to heal. Yes, I said years. I visited the Florida everglades once as a kid and was so traumatized I have no desire to ever go there again. At least not during the summer.

The only good news is that they don't carry any of the serious life-threatening diseases like some other regions. Otherwise, the heat and humidity would be the least of your problems. A team of wild horse couldn't drag me to Panama. Good luck with that.