Old 06-19-19, 07:49 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
I balance my bike very evenly. The triple butted was a nightmare. The entery level straight gauge frame with the proper gearing I had just before that was a joy at all times. I haven't ridden a double butted frame so maybe I'm wrong in loving stiff frames for loaded touring but since most of the compliance comes from the tires I don't see any benefit in adding unnecessary flexibility. Other than a re***mbant which was both the best and the worst experience in distance touring, the very expensive, (at the time), 720 really put me off any compliance in conventional frames. It could be I'm stubbornly committed to my way of thinking and my re-worked Klein Performance bike. I'm delighted your happy with your choice of frames and your bike looks like it has tons of personality. Hope I see you on the highway some day.👍
I don't think you're wrong at all- in fact- if the market is any indicator (which it usually isn't), stiff bikes have won out over compliant bikes especially as far as tourers go. Even by 1990, my Miyata 1000LT is much more stiff with Splined Triple Butted tubing- which is nothing like the 531C double butted tubing (the 720 tourer never came with triple butted tubing).

I haven't hauled the loads you have- and I'm somewhat smaller- but I can totally see where the long rear end Trek geometry combined with lightweight, compliant tubing could be a nightmare. And I do think my Miyata would be a better heavy load hauler- but I do think my Treks have a wonderful unloaded and lightly loaded ride.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.