Old 06-20-19, 04:40 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Earlier I suggested to utilize the fork and mid braze-ons for low rider panniers but wouldn't make it the rule.

One really needs to experiment, depends on the planned excursion (majority of terrain type and realistic carrying weight). The fork is a suspension, so when one makes truss supports and fuss with various rack mounts, you might be surprised and become sensitive to differences.

If your carrying the wife's extras, kitchen sink and neccitates the rear cargo, no way am I riding the compliant steel.

Although I enjoy a nicely setup '87 Trek 520 (extensively changed from factory equipped) with fork mid-mount, its not even close to what my 20+ yr old ally Cannondale offers. My first loaded trip on the legendary 520 with a standard front rack was a handful, especially on steep fast descents. Its now improved with a mid-fork mount rack but still a noodle.

Learned by lucky chance but acquired this ultra budget 'hybrid' ..... yes, a hybrid flat bar with Marzocchi guts Headshock fork. Swapped to shortened stem, drop bar and dual controls, front pannier rack easily mounted to the suspension fork, meaty fast and reasonably supple 700c x 42 Continental Speedride tires.

(By the way, 27 inch rubber is NO longer common available or are very limited. Every bike shop to Wal-Mart stock 700c tires. Also suggest to predrill rims for Schrader valve.)

This bike is an ugly beast, heavy handling slow feel but it just 'plows' over the worst of roads and ultra plush- it makes touring a joy. I'm
stoked how awesome these Cannondale hybrids can be.

Man, you manage to hit a lot of trees. I can't even think of the last time I knocked over a tree on my bike...

I find your comments about the 520 to be interesting- as that's the 531 main frame with CrMo stays and fork, correct? Theoretically, naturally stiffer than an all 531 bike- and with not having 47cm chainstays- much less back there for rear leverage. Up until I acquired my Miyata- my 86 Trek 400 Elance was my stiffest "road" frame- 531/CrMo and (I think) 42.5cm chainstays.

That being said, the Miyata 1000LT with the 45cm chainstays and the Splined Triple Butted tubing give the stiffest ride- of my bikes. Cannondales have that reputation of being ultra stiff- and although I don't have one- and can't say I've ridden one- I can surmise what that stiffness must be like in regards to the difference of my long chain stayed 531 Treks and the the Miyata.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.