WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bas2205
I am interested in this type of mount. However, I am worried about the weight of the Edge+Virb being too heavy and rotating the mount. Are you up for tinkering with the design a bit?

If so, I have three ideas:

1. Angle the mounting surface back 30 degrees?. The Virb can still be aimed at the horizon using the thumb-screw. Since the Edge computer now sits further forward, it should point towards the rider's head instead of straight up.

2. Instead of using M4 bolts, what do you think about using zip-ties? I have some standard 75lbs ones and some beefy 150lbs ones at home, I will measure the cross-sections later. I got the idea for this from the Racebone on Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/C84MQ54UB/racebone-garmin-handlebar-mount?li=related-items-solr&optionId=42451391

3. For some extra stability, what about mounting to both aerobars? If Shapeways allows, this could be a parameter (I will have to measure the distance between my bars inside-to-inside). I got the idea from the 3T computer bridge: COMPUTER MOUNT BRIDGE - Accessories - 3T Cycling Road

I am always tinkering. The Virb is by far the heaviest of the mainstream action cams out there. I recently beefed up the arms, the mount for the Virb is identical to their flat mount and shouldn't be an issue.

I like the idea of mounting to both bars. Shapeways just introduced a customizer for specially made models I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but this could be a perfect opportunity Edge on one side Virb on the bottom stretched across both extension arms.