Old 06-25-20, 03:25 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Ok @Andy_K I didn't spend days on the Prismatic website, but I did spend a few hours, haha. I've never looked at so many grey metallics before!

Aside from, say, Illusion Cherry not being practical/feasible (two layer application is too thick for nice results on lugged bikes), I've sifted through all the greys and decided that Cadillac Grey is the closest grey without going lighter than I'd like. It has great 'flop' from light to dark, matching, to me, the drama of the Expedition's original paint pretty well. The metallic flake is a touch enthusiastic. That's what's nice about wet paint jobs, the clear coat can obscure (via reflection) the metallic flake in the base coat underneath, whereas powder coat has all the color and flake and gloss on one level.

This is a really nice example of the color on a tube. Perfect for pretending it's a bike frame. It's really quite nice.

Dark Grey Sparkle is also pretty close to original, and perhaps just lacks a touch of depth/flop. The reflections don't help, but it's still a little light for me.

Cool Charcoal is another possibility, but...not there. Base Dark Grey may be close as well.

Wet Charcoal was another leading candidate, and it presents very well. It may also be a little light for my liking, but the finer metallic is a plus. Ordering samples will likely be the best bet, unless Seattle Powder Coat has them on hand. I think they may, but I will need to ask.

Likes For RiddleOfSteel: