Old 05-31-12, 03:31 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Be careful of tube-orientation when you remove. Take off tyre and tube. Then place blown tube back over rim in the same direction as before. Line up the hole in the tube with a specific rim-hole & spoke that was under the blow-out. Inspect the rim-tape and rim-drilling very carefully at that spot.

Post a close-up photo for us to inspect.

Personally, I wouldn't use rubber rim-strips on anything over 25-30psi. I've tried all sorts of things: strapping/packing tape, multiple layers of first-aid/hockey tape, electrical tape, masking, duct tape, multiple inner tube rim-strips, etc. Given the low cost of Velox versus the dollars I would be earning if I wasn't messing with trial&error experiments with home-made rim-strips , I'll only use Velox from now on as my time is way, way more valuable.

BTW, the secret to Velox is the fabric's thickness and stiffness. The glue that stays tacky is also part of its success.
I bought some rubber rim strips from Niagara Cycles along with a wheel order - I wasn't paying attention and thought I was ordering velox. It's actually worked pretty well. Thicker than you'd expect.