View Single Post
Old 08-08-19, 05:45 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Maybe some folks don't have much in the way of hills, but theorizing about your ideal cadence is pointless

when the grade is much above 10%. Unless you are cat 1, you're not going to be much over 5 mph, and even with 1:1 gears

that means around 60 rpm. Different with a mountain bike, but we're talking road here.

Your optimal cadence is certainly an interesting discussion and this thread is as good a place as any for that.

But for the record, that is NOT the issue that I raised when I started this thread. For me I would guess that, for a long and steady (and hard) effort, somewhere around 95 rpm would be my ideal cadence. But if I were limited to 85 I don't think it would matter much. My sense of thing is that at some point as RPM drops your ability to put out the same power for the same period of time falls dramatically. That was my question, but no reason not to talk about the other side of the curve as well.

dave