Old 08-22-19, 08:30 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I like that. Looks good. Did it come with enough to put behind the shifters? Or was there extra bits for that? I am not great at wrapping bars and always need that. I would try it but not at $30. $20 is the most I will spend on bar tape.
I have to correct myself. It comes with two pre-cut 3" pieces.

Originally Posted by Dean V
The length must be reasonable if you can do a figure eight around the levers and also go over an extra layer of inner tube on your bars.
Correct. My bars are definitely compact, and it took a few tries to get it right. I don't think you could pull off the figure 8 with full size bars, but those are usually found on vintage bikes and I don't think this tape would look right on a vintage bike.
Originally Posted by cthenn
That's what I was gonna ask. I prefer the figure 8, but many tape brands don't give you enough. Hell, charge me another dollar, just make the damn roll long enough!

OP, as was asked, how thick is it compared to something standard, like Cinelli? Since it has 2 layers, I assume it's thicker than standard tape?
It's significantly thicker than regular tape. It took me a while to get it tucked in properly at the bar ends. I've never bought "high end" bar tape so I can only compare it to the $10 stuff.

Originally Posted by August West
That looks just like the tape on my 2019 Domane except mine doesn't have the red accent. I've been very happy with it. Nice and cushy with good grip. It is holding up very well so far and still looks / performs like new. I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with the same when the time comes. And I know it can be reused since I had them swap out the bars on my bike when I purchased it and they just reused the tape from the original bars.
It might be the same tape. They just started selling it at retail but they might have been putting it on earlier models. It is available in black on black.
You can definitely reuse it. It comes with peel off adhesive, but it's pretty weak and doesn't leave a residue.

Last edited by audiomagnate; 08-22-19 at 08:36 AM.