View Single Post
Old 11-17-23, 06:44 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 106 Posts
I took a look at the ones on the Rene Herse site. It appears to me that Scott may have modified the design a bit from the ones I have.

Something else I noticed, and did read in some of the older threads the flat stoppers, is Scott changed over to stainless steel for the lower part of the wiper. He obtained some welding wire from Frank the Welder, which was ductile enough to bend without excessive springback. The ones I have are all brass, so I'm guessing an earlier version. Once I can obtain some fairly ductile stainless, I'll give that a try, although I'm not 100% sure it matters, given the wiper is not intended to ride heavily against the tire.

Here's a snapshot of the ones I purchased, on the bottom, my first cut up top, and a small mod to the upper portion to more closely match Scott's design. I had to make a new die to match.

But looking more closely at the version on the Rene Horse site, it looks like Scott elongated the upper part of the unit, where the ring is located. Why is a mystery to me, but it is entirely do-able.

Again, the more feedback I get, the better these will be for those interested in flat stoppers. I understand they're not everybody's cup of tea, but given the amount of free time I find myself with these days, it seems a worthy venture.

Kurt

Last edited by satbuilder; 11-17-23 at 06:52 PM. Reason: .
Likes For satbuilder: