View Single Post
Old 09-09-19, 10:03 AM
tpower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Instead of starting a new topic, I'll add my intro to racing.

I think for both CX and gravel I'm way way off base for pressures. I ran 40psi on Sunday's race and felt like I was bouncing all over the place. I weigh 155 lbs. It's a normal narrower width wheelset with tubes.

I also think I was running way way too little tire tread. I bought a tire set a while back when I bought the bike used to serve me as a gravel tire. I have to ride greenway to/from the gravel, so hence the choice.

It's a Tracer in a 33mm. Looking around, I was certainly in the lesser tread on the tire camp. And since I'm new to this, probably not a good thing. I probably need more tire size and more tread.

I'm also guessing that 40psi was super bouncy and slow for my weight.

I have a meter on my roadie, maybe I'll do a little testing to get some numbers for my tire pressures on "easy ride" days. Ride a section in the same gear same cadence/speed and lower the tire pressure each time around.
My wife runs the Specialized Tracer and its great in dry conditions. When there is wet conditions it will not do well. If you're just starting out I wouldn't necessarily trust what everyone in your category is using (assuming you're racing in the beginner category). Better to look at what the elites are running in their race.

Also, can't stress enough that going out to a park or going to the race venue the day after and doing some hot laps is definitely worth your time when you're just starting out. I've been racing a few years but I still do this...yesterday started at 30 and reduced down until I started hitting rim. At that point there is a finesse needed for your riding, to avoid those rocks and roots that will clank your rim. I run HED Belgium+ and try and not clank the rim because it will dent and then you're hosed. I already have one dent but luckily not affecting the tire/wheel interface. I ended up being able to run 22psi in front and 25psi rear and not lose the tire. The course had a lot of off camber. I weigh 165.

Don't get greedy though. Tire pressure is specific to the course, rider, wheel/tire combo, not necessarily in that order. I'd much rather finish a race because I had a few extra PSI than have to pit for more PSI or a bike change.