View Single Post
Old 11-03-19, 12:18 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
On my Raleigh and Rudge I've stuck with the cottered cranks even though, without a cotter extractor, they are a damn nuisance. I wanted a more vintage-but-deluxe look for the Pug plus save some weight (also the crankset that was on the derelict bike when I found it was so deeply rusted it was useless). I would have left in the original BB if I could have found the right cotterless spindle, but came up blank. Hence the Velo Orange. Anyway with the AW and a 46 tooth ring and 19 tooth cog the gearing has been fine for NYC. I even rode a somewhat hilly ride in Westchester two weeks ago and had no trouble. My riding companion was spinning in his lowest gears sometimes while I was standing on the pedals. What's so wrong? Ideally third gear would be lower or there would be a gear between 2 and 3. If an FW like yours came my way for free or near free I would jump on it. But ultimately it's the legs, not the gear ratios.

PS It sounds like a very satisfying job, rebuilding that FW.
It was very satisfying once I'd figured it out and had it ticking along. I had the clutch retainer key thingy that the driver engages (it isn't called that) in upside down, and I had forgotten to connect the two ends of the indicator before installing the driver and clutch spring. I'd also forgotten to secure the larger bearing dust cap so the driver wasn't sitting or engaging properly. After I connected the indicator rod (the threading is impossibly tiny and I was very careful), everything was properly aligned and the hub functioned as it ought to. I used an old bread tin to clean each individual part. It is nice to see things shine up and a long line of parts waiting all ready to be reinstalled. The FW took me some hours to clean and put back together. Longer than I originally expected. I finished the dynohub in about an hour since it was in such nice shape to begin with. For the Peugeot, I think I want to keep the steel cottered crank since I have fresh cotters for it from Bikesmith and I like how it looks. However, how to source a 46t chainwheel that will fit with the original crank set?