Old 06-28-19, 07:05 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Since most bicycles are not equipped with speedometers, the courts will have a tough time convicting most cyclists going 16 to 20 mph, and will end up going the route of many traffic LEOs, in going after the blatant speeders.
My first thought exactly. Unless he voluntarily pays it, good luck on that case.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Conditionally I may be supportive of the law. If someone is blasting down a crowded path within a few feet of pedestrians, I would support a ticket in that case. If the path is open and empty, I would not. If the enforcement officers will apply a little common sense, it can serve a greater good. I have noticed before, but I really processed it yesterday.
An irrational conclusion. On a bike what happens to others in a collision, happens to you. As implied, this is more of a backlash from the institution and proliferation of the e-bikes, and the unknowledgeable and inexperienced people that tend to ride them. This is exactly what I was afraid happening (requiring speedometers on bikes?), and why I've been such an advocate of keeping e-bikes separate from conventional bicycles.
As I approach pedestrians from behind I slow and announce my presence in a pleasant conversational tone. Many of them have a reaction that I would best describe as a fear response. They react by hastily scrambling as far right as they can. It happens often. Something has caused them to respond as such.
Stop talking to people on a path. Its a meaningless gesture akin to yelling out your car window as you drive by. They can't understand you. Use a bell. Its instantly and universally recognized with no thought or interpretation necessary. These solution have already been put into place and in many locations already been put into law. They don't need to be reinvented.