Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,645 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
My first thought exactly. Unless he voluntarily pays it, good luck on that case.

An irrational conclusion. On a bike what happens to others in a collision, happens to you. As implied, this is more of a backlash from the institution and proliferation of the e-bikes, and the unknowledgeable and inexperienced people that tend to ride them. This is exactly what I was afraid happening (requiring speedometers on bikes?), and why I've been such an advocate of keeping e-bikes separate from conventional bicycles.Stop talking to people on a path. Its a meaningless gesture akin to yelling out your car window as you drive by. They can't understand you. Use a bell. Its instantly and universally recognized with no thought or interpretation necessary. These solution have already been put into place and in many locations already been put into law. They don't need to be reinvented.
People understand me fine. I very often get thanked for the pleasantness of my interaction. I have ridden with a girl who used a bell, and the reaction of the people we encountered wasn't nearly as predictable as it is when I slow and say "I am going to ease around your left" in a conversational tone. Following that, as I am beside them, I'll exchange pleasantries.

The reaction I described in the previous post is, I suspect, a fear reaction based on other riders blasting past them.