View Single Post
Old 08-25-19, 03:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I don't know what my HR is except at rest it tends to be in the low 40s. I'd say if you've been off for 2 years it's going to take some time for your heart to get stronger/conditioned to hard efforts. I'm on a bit of a "comeback" myself and I find it very important to take rest days. I ride with people who are faster than I am and we do lot of climbing Saturdays, 25 or 30 fast miles Sunday, off Monday, 40 miles at relaxed pace Tuesday, Wednesday I do a couple hours of hard climbing then Thursday and Friday off, (some Fridays I ride easy for an hour).

I retired in April and this schedule seems to be giving me endurance and power I haven't had for a few years. Did a century a few weeks back and yesterday I did a brutal hot climbing ride which took over 6 hours. I'm 65 and over 200 pounds.

I saw some doctors last summer and they couldn't find anything wrong with my heart and suggested I was getting old when I complained I couldn't go as fast as I used to.

I don't think you can know what your max HR is until you give yourself enough time to get some of your fitness back.

Last edited by big john; 08-25-19 at 03:30 PM.