View Single Post
Old 01-04-16, 10:32 AM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiMimni
I'd hazard a guess that the Boulder Valley Velodrome is about 85% racer, or racing-curious riders. I've been involved in several "Learn the Track" nights, and the majority of the participants have later raced, or expressed interest in it. I'm not currently around enough to get a very accurate feel on how many people are usually in for training, however. April (I think) will mark the first full year of operation for the facility, so the community is rather small. I'd guess there were 100-200 unique racers this season.

I'm super excited for the thick layer of snow to bugger off. I wanna practice on my precious wooden boards again!
BVV is my home, too, and the great first year is part of what got me wondering about the populations elsewhere. I think we generally saw racing nights with 60-70+ riders throughout the season, though that also includes the subset of folks who otherwise/also race down at Springs.

Although I race, I think it's great that we have a solid group of riders who are not on the track solely to train for racing. I'd guess it could be a larger proportion, maybe a third, comprising people who just use the track to stay fit, former racers who have had their fill, etc.