Old 09-20-19, 02:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I just finished Cycle Oregon on my fix gear. Wore $25 long fingered Giant gloves the whole week. Both they and my fingers held up really well. The undersides of brake levers are a real finger killer when you do long climbs on a fix gear because you pull so much harder than the geared folk and the brake lever makers usually don't give a lot of thought to the unseen undersides. (Yes I could and did change cogs to a 43 x 23 or 24 for the serious climbs so it wasn't the 42 x 17 of my younger (and crazier) days but still, I was the only one out there in that high a low gear, Sitting wasn't an option.)

I had thickened calluses on the inside of my ring finger knuckles but that was it. Never any discomfort. The gloves are thin for warm weather and are clearly intended for MTB use, camouflage in color and no padding at all. I have never liked heavily padded gloves so for me, that wasn't an issue on the road bike brakes and handlebars. I wish they had velcro cuffs for easier on and off, but that is a minor issue. I'll buy them again when these wear out.

Ben