View Single Post
Old 09-14-20, 07:12 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by cvrle1
Main reason for wanting is due to hills around where I live and ride. Now mind you these arent large, long climbs by any means, but for someone who hasnt ridden bike in long time as myself, and who is out of shape (not heavy person, just not in physically good shape) these climbs are pain. I am in the lowest possible gear, and it is a chore. I always make it and it feels great knowing I did it, but I am out of breath once I am done, and my heart rate is really high. Also, there are much steeper hills that I go long way around, so it would be helpful to have more gears once I feel like I can attempt these one day
You don't need "more" gear choices; you need more purposeful ones. This can also be accomplished with a modest 2 x 6 setup, using half-step gearing. Select the rear % spacing (smaller - larger)/larger to be in the 11-14% change throughout from cog to cog. Then select the front chainrings to be a 5-6% jump between them, adjusting the range to bridge the center of desired gear inch range. That's how we did it long ago. Each half step is found by changing the front derailleur. Works a charm.