View Single Post
Old 07-23-08, 03:09 PM
Longfemur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, categories. Not a good idea to categorize people like that.

Personal example. This morning, I had to go to the hospital for some follow-up. Living in a brain dead North American city that long ago moved its largest hospital to the suburbs, I needed transport despite living right smack in the middle of downtown. Car laid up due to licence overdue for renewal, couldn't afford a sheet of bus tickets on this particular day, and no way I'm leaving my custom road bike locked outside of the hospital (road bike acquired in more prosperous times). So, I borrowed my daughter's old, now unused mountain bike and became a commuter bicyclist for a day.

One tire not fully seated in rim, so front wheel bounces up and down in a very obvious way. Huge Kryptonite lock hanging loosely on handlebar and rattling all the way. Bike is too small for me so saddle obviously too low. Me dressed comfortably for hospital visit, but certainly not for cycling. I sure felt like your description of a Fred, and I probably looked like I have no clue whatsoever about cycling (even though I did cycle vehicular style the whole way, probably the only person on an old mountain bike who did this morning).

But hey, I did save the 6 dollars cash bus fare, and I didn't use a drop of gas.

I guess sometimes I'm a Fred, other times I'm not. Whichever I am on any particular ride, I staunchly reserve the right to be wearing Shimano sandals. I do plan on fixing that bouncing tire though, in case I have to do this again.