View Single Post
Old 05-11-13, 09:46 AM
Rob Greenfield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am Rob Greenfield, the adventurer that this thread is about and would like to give you a few more details of this coast to coast adventure. I'll answer any questions and clear up any misunderstandings.
I have extensive information on the trip and my intentions at www.GreenfieldAdventures.org
Follow me at www.Facebook.com/RobJGreenfield

-Using electricity generated purely by portable alternative energy devices. I am using solar panels from Goal Zero and The PowerPot to charge my laptop, cellphone, bike lights, headlight, etc. I am not plugging into any outlets, turning on any light, appliances etc. Some electricity has been indirectly used by cash registers, automatic doors and lights, getting cash at the bank, and small things like that. I am online so wifi is another small electricity draw but again my laptop is completely powered by solar.

-Creating near zero trash. Any created will be recycled up, cycled, or composted. Any that can't be will be carried all the way across the country. So far it has been extremely minimal, under 3 pounds of total waste, 90% of which could be recycled

-Using water solely from natural sources like lake, rivers, wells, and rain. I am purifying using a Katadyn pocket filter. I will not be using any water from the grid which means not turning on a faucet, using a toilet, taking a shower, etc.

-Eating locally produced, organic, and unpackaged foods. If that is not available then I am eating food that would have gone to waste. I am trying to have as little impact as possible on this trip and eating discarded food does just that.

-Composting all food waste. Rather than spreading it all over the place I am saving it up for a few days at a time and then burying it where the nutrients can be used. I am also using bokashi, an effective microorganism, that speeds up the breakdown process.

-Shopping at businesses that are committed to creating a healthy planet. When it comes to food this has been a bit of a challenge. It is very hard to tell if a little market in the middle of nowhere cares. This has probably been the most challenging of the tasks but I am very conscious and I speak to the manager/ owner at most stores and find out where they are at with sustainability.

All of this has been challenging and you can see the statistics for many of these tasks at www.GreenfieldAdventures.org under statistics. The whole idea is to have as minimal impact as possible and to inspire others to live a lower impact life. This trip is extreme, I don't live my life to this extreme. It's just 3 months and I am up to the challenge for it and have been happy and healthy so far.

To answer some questions:

Raybo-
Water has been quite easy to find even in the deserts of Nevada. I stock up when I get the opportunity and I keep my eyes open for it. I am of course purifying all water that I drink.
Organic locally produced food has been hard to come by in Nevada and Utah but it will get easier in a week once I hit eastern Colorado. When organic local food is not available I eat food that would have gone to waste.
I appreciate the help of trail angels but I can't accept things from them that don't follow the mission.

SuperTrouper.
It has been a challenge but at the same time I have had quite a few days. I am always challenging myself and I grow stronger because of it. Honestly though it hasn't been that bad.

Ciufalon.
Using water solely from natural sources like lake, rivers, wells, and rain. I am purifying using a Katadyn pocket filter. I will not be using any water from the grid which means not turning on a faucet, using a toilet, taking a shower, etc. Water on the grid takes energy and also often is pumped in from states far away. Dams have changed the way rivers flow and lakes have gone dry due to diversion of water.

bradtx
Yes it has been a challenge but I am sticking to it. My days are much busier than they would be if my goal was to only bike across the country but I am going for much more than that. I'm amazed at what can be done in 24 hours.

indyfabs
It has been difficult to "verify that Joe's Family Market in Podunk, KS has shown a commitment to a healthy planet?" but also those markets mostly have not had locally produced organic food so I haven't shopped at them anyway. Instead I have been eating discarded food that has no environmental impact. I have only purchased 2 packaged food items and those were local eggs from grass fed chickens.

staehpj1
I have been carrying food that is why I have the Bob trailer. By carrying a heavier load many of these tasks have been made easier.
I made it through hwy 50 in Nevada drinking water from lakes, rivers, and a well that pumped water from the ground using a windmill. Still have not turned on a faucet since I left and I think I've made it past the hardest part. Thanks for the comments!

Cyccocommute
By natural I mean water that has not entered the grid, been treated at facilities, came from the tap, been bottled, etc.
I made it through the Nevada desert by doing so. Salt Lake City had more water then I could have dreamed of. Snow runoff rivers were everywhere and their is a natural Artesian Well right in town.

Food- In Utah I have found local organic beef, pork, goat, lamb, chicken milk, yogurt, honey, eggs, cheese, jams, dried fruit, venison, and fish. I have to go out of my way to succeed but it means adapting in each state and eating what is available.

Biking is already a super green way of traveling yes but their are many more ways to be better to the planet.

------
I will answer more later but this is all the battery I have left at the moment. Thanks everyone for your comments, critiques, and for following.