3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26418 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
And to reinforce just how strong lions can be and what a ferocious force a trillion of them would be, get a look at this (sad story, but why the hell can't people read signs and believe they are there for a purpose?):

Fatal lion attack
...without, I hope, belittling the tragedy of this woman's death, I am fascinated by stories of behaviours like this. (morbidly fascinated ??)

Invariably, the deceased is eulogized as "absolutely fearless", or even more strangely, to have "died doing something that he/she loved"

I don't get it, really don't get it. We are, in essence, rather puny specimens of mammalian biology on the earth, and civilization only seems to make us more so. So this danger/adventure thing seems to me a strangely distorted view of reality. I see car commercials here all the time for "adventure vehicles", that sell cars by promising they will keep you safe in the severest of circumstances. Here is something that happened a week or two ago near here in Yosemite.

Here is another classic.

It's almost like we are in the process of losing the survival instinct. I have done plenty of dangerous, slightly nutty stuff for money, but I just do not get it. I would say maybe I'm just too old, but the guy in Idaho was 73 when he went down in flames. #stillalottalions