View Single Post
Old 06-25-16, 09:34 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
While I took a break from flipping bikes this spring working on my shop rebuild I did work on one bike for a friend.My buddy Dave called me and said he bought a Schwinn Collegiate for $30 at a yard sale, he said it just needs tires and he wants to put new cables on it, & he is going to do the work himself. As soon as I saw the bike I knew it was going to need a lot more then tires & cables and I told him to leave it with me and I will take a look at it once I get to a point I can take a break with my shop rebuild and he agrees.

The first thing I notice is that the kick stand doesn't work and seems bent and after wheeling it in & out for a few days something just looks off, turns out the PO changed the wheels from 27" to a really beat set of 26x1 3/8" wheels which don't fit at all. The second thing is that I can see that this bike lived outside for a long period of time & the PO cleaned all the chrome with some really coarse steel wool scratching all the chrome parts bad. The BB & Headset bearings were a little crunchy feeling & the chain was beyond service limits and heavy with rust. The first thing I do is call Dave & bust his chops about the $30 boat anchor he bought and he replies All it needs is tires I was riding it!, after I stopped laughing I told him I will see what I can come up with and let him know what if anything can be done with it without sinking a boat load of money in it & this is what I came up with,

All Parts used were from my bins & in stock, which is the only reason I moved forward.The only original parts left were the Frame, fork, fenders stem & handle bars, everything else was replaced to make it work.

Wheels- Used Araya 700c rims w/sealed bearing fw hubs, rebuilt w/new bearings & rear converted to solid Axle & both drilled for Shrad valve tubes ( I knew he would have problems w/Presta valve tubes lol ). I also used the 6spd UG FW that was on the wheelset.
Brakes- Weinmann Center Pull, 610 in frt 750 in Rear, new pads, this required changing the seatpost clamp & installing cable hangers frt & back.New cables.
BB & Headset replaced with good condition used replacements.
Derailleur & Shifting- Shimano SIS Alivio long cage, 6spd thumb shifter, all new cables.Also had to modify a Suntour Claw hanger for the RD to mount.
Pedals-Union Block like originals.
Tires- Michelin Dynamic Sport 700x28, Picked these up last yrs from Nashbar $9.99 ea but didn't work out for my needs.New tubes.
Misc- Modern Schwinn seat post with the standard size for seat clamp, Schwinn MTB seat, newer rubber Schwinn grips, a cleaner set of brake levers, vintage Cats Eye reflectors, Suntour Dork Disk, Used rear rack.

This bike fought me tooth & nail getting everything to work together but I am happy to say that I am very pleased with the outcome, it rides smooth, shifts fast and is comfortable. I told Dave if he doesn't pick it up soon he is not getting it back lol.

Glenn

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 06-25-16 at 09:39 AM.