Old 12-27-16, 08:48 AM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
I'm just getting to know the Hacienda Heights / Whittier area. I was really disappointed to learn that the trail which looks so good online (the Schabarum-Skyline Trail) is closed in so many places. (why why WHY?) I would love to ride that trail north to the mountains, especially since it has fantastic tunnels underneath the major obstacles (Colima Rd. & the rail roads for example). I haven't been able to find any info on these closures by emailing the county or by searching for alerts on county websites.

The Schabarum trail was conceived as a horse and hiking trail (his daughter was part of the horsey set) and that means it has some sections of steep single track and really isn't maintained at all except where it's part of the commons for a housing development.

I think there's some politics at play here as well. Schabarum was a combative guy and a constant thorn in the side of the party now in power with the LA Co board of supervisors when he was on the board so it probably sticks in their craw that his name is on anything let alone spend any money on it.