Old 01-17-20, 09:12 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Wow, that looks nice. You've had that since brand new? That's amazing, there are many new parts, but those are original 737 SPDs. My 747s looked like hamburger after 5 years; the oldest bike I've had since new is a 93 and it is also showing much beausage.
Thanks.The frame is virtually mint as the bike sat in storage in my basement for almost 20 years and prior to that it was lightly ridden. Work, family and life in general pre-empted this resurrection. The new parts thrown on the bike include Shorty cantilevers, threadless stem adapter, chain, saddle, bar grips, Specialized Nimbus 26 x 1.5 tires and shifter/brake cable and housing.

The original Shimano Biopace crankset was a bit beat up but I found great deals on a used XT crank on Fleabay as well as a Thompson seatpost and brake/shift levers. The SPD pedals are almost as old as the bike but there was no play in the axles. They just needed a good cleaning and some fresh grease in the bearing units. I acquired the stem and handlebar on Pinkbike for $50. They were lightly used and in awesome condition. I find it hard to fathom how little bike owners sell their practically new parts on Pinkbike for just to upgrade their stock bikes. The used 3 x 7 Deore XT brake/shifter lever set was a bit chipped up but were direct replacements for the stock thumbshifters. Rims, hubs as well as derailleurs were left untouched.