Old 02-01-20, 06:45 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Would you go across the USA on a 1983 model touring bike?

And if you would, assuming the bike is in "restored" condition what might you service,and what could it possibly cost?

I am planning a tour from Alabama to Colorado on a shoe string budget. I found a 1983 Schwinn Voyager SP in what the seller calls restored condition. I am told all bearings have been inspected and greased and it is in all original condition with zero rust. My thought was to make sure everything was in perfect condition,but I don't yet know what that might potentially cost as I am just now learning bike mechanics. I will be able to do any work myself because I am about to take a series of master mechanic classes through a local non profit bike shop.

I don't really have the money to buy a new Long Haul Trucker, though I would rather liquidate something and buy one than to waste money on a bike that isn't up to the task because of it's age. Basically, I like the idea of a vintage bike, but not at the expense of reliability. On the other hand I do know that anything can break, even on a new bike and I will have the knowledge to fix it when it does. I just don't want to put money into a 1983 bike and wish later that I had bought something new because I end up with just as much money in the old bike because of repairs.