Old 02-01-20, 07:30 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
If undertaking this, I have no reason to think the frame and components would not be up to it. If the overhaul did not include new cables, brake pads, tubes, tires and chain, I advise putting fresh ones one before undertaking the journey. Also, would look at chainring wear and wear on the cogs of the freewheel, as significant wear on these can cause shifting issues and accelerate the rate of wear on a new chain.

As for what to pack for the journey, the Touring Forum would be a great source of advice to supplement what the experienced folks here can offer.
I won't have any problem replacing the freewheel, chain, and cables if it hasn't already been done or needs it. I just want to make sure that there isn't a potential very expensive issue because of it's age that I am not aware of because of my currently limited mechanical skills. The bike has new tubes and tires and I will test ride it. I am told it operates like new and has been serviced in a bike shop.
I'll put a few bike packing trips under my belt before going on an extended stay but I am 51 years old with literally hundreds of tent camping trips under my belt, just not on a bike yet. I'm new to cycling, but not as green as a June bug in the camping, hiking, survival aspect. Not that I'm not willing and eager to listen to all advice.
Likes For RH Clark: