View Single Post
Old 02-19-20, 07:56 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Maybe someone should reiterate the basics.

Short reach: 39-49mm
Medium reach: 47-57mm
Long reach: 57+ mm

Short reach could vary. Some early aero brakes were more like 36 - 42 or something like that.

Medium reach was also called standard reach or normal reach. It's specs would also vary. For example the Weinmann 610 which unsurprisingly goes up to 61. Often incorrectly called long reach nowadays.

Long reach was sort of a catchall for anything bigger. Weinmann 750 was a ubiquitous and typical example.

WRT why long reach in the back? The only explanation I've ever heard was that the lower mechanical advantage of the rear brake made the brakes feel more balanced between front and rear. Maybe. I wonder if the actual explanation is more boneheaded, like to get more mud clearance, or maybe it was to make room for a bigger tire in back for traction. People used to think that way.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
You measure perpendicular to the mounting bolt axis because that is how manufacturers measure and report their brake reach dimensions.
That is how I've always done it, and it was also my understanding that that's how manufacturers did it. Thanks for verifying I'm not nuts or gaslit.