Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I'm 6'2", which I've read somewhere is taller than 96.1% of US men. It's kind of nice to be on the tall end, but 6'2" is still probably an inch or two below the height at which finding clothes that fit, finding cars I can sit comfortably in, etc. starts to be a legit problem. I suppose I could ask you all about that. If I shun certain cars that have sunroofs because my hair is brushing the headliner then you're probably struggling with that car even without the sunroof.

The GCN video actually refers to tall riders, not fat riders, so I think most of us were thrown by the forum thread title referring just to "Clyde" and some assumption that it was referring to weight issues. The video wasn't really aimed at heavy riders, and they didn't claim it was, so no harm no foul. The forum thread title was kind of a bait & switch, actually.

Personally I think the term Clydesdale referring simply to anyone over 200 lbs (from, I guess, the triathlon community) isn't all that useful. The needs, equipment limitations, health issues, etc. of "clydes" who exceed the cycling norms in the Z axis are going to be very different from those of us who exceed the standards in X and Y.

To be honest, GCN really should make some videos dealing with issues for legitimately fat riders. There really are "fat shaming" issues in our society, of course, and even someone like GCN, knowing that probably a lot of viewers who watch them are actually fat themselves, will probably have to be dragged kicking and screaming to make a video about bike fit and equipment issues for, say, a 5'11" rider who weighs 280 lbs or whatever. Imagine the hateful comments section that would appear under that video!

ps: I'm not a fan of the anti-fat-shaming police, and I'm not a fan of those who can't stop themselves from mocking fat people either. We have to be realistic about healthy and happy body weights, to be sure, but truly fat people know it just sucks to be fat, and they also know that for a variety of reasons, if you're there, it's not easy to change it. Doable, but not easy at all. I'm proud that I used to be 380, lost over 100 lbs a decade ago, and have kept most of it off in the intervening ten years, but I know that it's not "fine" to still be 265-270ish as I am right now. I'm proud of my progress, not my body as it still is. The anti-fat-shamers would hate me for implying that it's not fine to be at the weight I'm at now, but it simply isn't. I know it, probably anyone at this weight or heavier knows it, etc. Sadly, even when I eventually hit my goal weight of 230 lbs I'll still be way above the range at which the "public face" of cycling gives a crap about people. That's so far out from the mean in the weight distribution of typical cyclists that trying to push one's media or business product reach beyond one or two standard deviations from the cyclist weight mean will always be a "marginal gain" they just won't find to be worth pursuing.
I think it should maybe start at 275 which is where you would start to be sure not to just buy any bike out there, maybe 300.