View Single Post
Old 05-26-20, 08:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The Op states a dream that some of us have heard so many times over the years. To dream is good, and needed in these times. But before spending large sums of $ and time one really needs to find out the reality of both the dream's start and the finish.

I alluded some to the start in my first post. Can the OP communicate at a level that will allow for the minutia of how to hold a file or when to call a joint filled with brass. Will "he" be able to accept a limited amount of time a builder can afford, as there are so few "schools" for building if any there, given that the builder has a customer to make happy and their own bills to pay from that frame. Is the OP willing to bend to another culture's manors and customs both in the work place as well as in their place to live during the time there. (There's a big difference between tourist and immigrant worker)

Then there's the take aways. Does the OP have any idea what it's like to build a real business where the product is them? Where there's many others who have less time/cost pressures but have greater customer capture skills? Will the type of business change the lease/insurance/working space and tooling they already have (I assume the shop is a bike shop here with standard commercial retail insurance and lease)? This bike making thing is littered with the remains of many before who have found out that real life building is far more about business management and less about filing and brazing. Will the building take away from more profitable service and sales? Take away from stocking parts/bikes space or work stand space?

There's so much more to speak about but these are some starters to consider. Even here in the US there are only a few building teachers that can focus on becoming a frame builder (as opposed to being able to build a frame in the class, a big distinction). Doug Fattic is one I have spent much time with. There are others but not many.

If the goal is to spend a few weeks in a new place and gain some skills then go for it. But to learn how to be a frame builder I strongly suggest staying here in the USA. Andy