View Single Post
Old 05-27-20, 04:37 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Had to take a picture

For reference, the crank set on the bike has 4 chain rings and there are no modifications to the FD - just adjustments.

I have the FD set so I can drop the chain down on the smallest chain ring when I am in a low gear on the cassette.

In the past Ive tried to get to the largest chain ring, but have never been moving fast enough to have the chain in a real high gear and there wasnt enough throw in the FD to overcome the chainline to get to the big chain ring.

Well I was cruising down a long hill in the country today and spun out in the highest gear I had around 25mph. Thats normally faster than I care to go anyway, but since I was there and still descending I thought I would go for the big chain ring.

It went!

So I kept on keepin' on.

Never done that in the 4-5 years Ive had the 4th chain ring.

To test it I repeated the shifting. It takes a bit of push on the the shifter past its furthest at rest point and there is some hesitation in the chain going up, but if Im in the lowest cog on the cassette I can reliably shift up every time.

Cool beans! Learned something new today.

Likes For KC8QVO: