View Single Post
Old 06-15-20, 12:23 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
Some unsolicited advice:

For an optimized ride experience, I recommend you going to brifters (integrated brake/shift levers). I've recently been riding a Pinarello with Campagnolo 8-speed Ergopower levers over a 7-speed Shimano freewheel. You have to hand it to Campy, but they got brifters right almost immediately. The shifting is as crisp and accurate as anything in my fleet, right up to Shimano and Campy 11-speed. You will need the shifters (Veloce to Record) and a matching rear derailleur from the era: 1992-2000. Front derailleur: almost any road derailleur will work with the left shifter. I use modern Shimano 7/8 speed chains and Hyperglide 7-speed freewheels. These are a vast improvement over any vintage drivetrain stuff.

Modolo brakes and levers? Trash them. Poor mechanical advantage, overly stiff springs, flexy arms, cheap awkward hardware. Any dual pivot brakeset (Shimano, Campy, even Tektro) will be a vast improvement. No, it's not the brake pads and cable housings: you can replace all of these and these brakes will still only be 'speed modulators' at best.
Likes For Dave Mayer: