Old 07-01-20, 08:20 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I think the best that any of us can do is provide our own anecdotes. Given what I've seen, it's more accurate to say that build quality is "uneven". The Team Professional and Professional MK I that I have (and have taken down to bare metal) are very well constructed. The lugs are nicely thinned, brazing and mitering are top notch (of course you'd expect that with these models). I also own two Competitions, two Internationals, a Grand Sports, an RRA and have had 3 Super Courses over the years. I may have been fortunate, but none of them had egregious issues with construction, but it is clear that they were not (with the possible exceptions of the RRA and one of the Internationals) built in the same painstaking manner. Yes, it does pay to take time inspecting the details when acquiring one (as one ideally would when purchasing any vintage bicycle).

This said, I can't say that I've been disappointed with the ride of any of them. If you're looking to drop $200 - $300 on a versatile, ready-to-ride 531 framed vintage bicycle that's in pretty good condition - it's worth it to consider what Raleigh made.
It's the ride that counts. The flaws I pointed out would not deter me from buying another 1970's era Raleigh but if the asking price is too much, I would take a closer look.
Likes For branko_76: