Old 07-01-20, 11:58 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jda775838
There's not necessarily a NEED for the best Raleigh model out there, as much as a desire not to get something known to be inferior to one of the better ones only to have more problems with it. Am looking for my first vintage Raleigh & want it to be a really good one, to last a very long time. With that said, I'm preferring one of the better models. I've read around online & the Professional, along with others mentioned, are known to be better. And no, no one's putting anything in my head, it's what I've surmised from the reading I've done, questions I've asked, etc. Just want the best for the money I spend.
What size do you need? You'll need to be either very patient or very lucky to find a Pro or International in ready to ride condition for under $600. Any of the five frames Kurt listed are likely to be better than the average $150 bike on Craigslist. If you're willing and able to do your own mechanical work you could buy a frame and build it with vintage SunTour parts and have yourself a pretty good bike. It would help to find a local co-op or sympathetic vintage bike fan who could help you out with common pieces like stem and handlebars for cheap. Someone just listed a 22.5" International frame and fork in the For Sale forum for a good price.