Old 07-10-20, 02:52 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
What size and kind/brand of rear QR skewer for a Surly Cross Check?

I finally bought a CC after years of being interested in them. I'm told it's a 2013 model and it looked barely used when I bought it. I've since gotten it pretty dusty on Colorado gravel and I like it very much.

Just realized something, though...and sorry for no picture of it, but there's no quick-release skewer lever on the rear wheel. I'm guessing it snapped off somehow and I didn't notice when I test-rode the bike. Shameful...I know. That's like buying a car without kicking the tires.

There's not a skewer on the drive side either - that was the first thing I checked. But, the wheel still has a dork disk, so I'm guessing it's whatever size Surly sold with 9-speed CCs - 135mm, perhaps?

From their website, the newer 10-speed CCs come with a Shimano Deore T610 rear hub, 32h, 135mm, w/QR.

Can I just buy any 135mm QR skewer and assume it will fit, or are they more complicated than that? I've never had to buy one.

Maybe this one? https://bikeparts.com/BPC388525/sals...f-skewer-black I don't really care what brand but everything is black on the bike and it has a Salsa seatpost and stem already, and that one's in stock at my local supplier. Lots of stuff isn't these days, as I guess we all know.

Below is a picture, which I know is the cost of admission. I can take good pictures of the existing axle later if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.