View Single Post
Old 01-17-20, 10:24 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Vintage Roadbikes changing value?

Are prices for vintage steel roadbikes going down? For example, a nice 1980 original Richard Sachs 10 spee complete with campy grupo recently sold on ebay for $765. True just one sale but it was a 10 day auction not buy-it-now.
We know condition is king but how important is flashy paint job? The bike was a maroon brown with yellow decals. But it got me thinking, has the value for old road bikes decreased over the past decade? If so, why?
Is everyone now so accustomed to carbon fiber and integrated shifters, and definitely not down-tube shifters, not to mention non-aero brakes, and the inferior freewheel, 27" rims and don't even talk about tubulars. I'm NOT dissing these bikes. I have one - an 83 Trek 630 - albeit with 700c wheels & better brakes. I know that the most coveted examples - classic italian race frames, ornate lugs and the like will always command high prices but has the overall market softened?
Has technology & taste made classic roadbikes built in the 1970s and 80s and similar (like steel 26" mtn bikes) the way of the film camera? Cool but not what most people with money to spend on bikes are going to pay too much for? Maybe the folks who fancy these bikes already have one or two? People are into many different types of bikes today, road, gravel, mtn, fixie, cross that the room for 10 speeds has shrunk? What do you guys think?

Last edited by Biketiger; 01-17-20 at 10:27 PM. Reason: grammar