Old 04-29-17, 12:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I've now got my 46/30 FSA crank on order at my LBS (supposedly available in mid-May). I already have a BB360EVO BB and the bike was designed for this type of crank, so I don't expect any fitment problems.
Great. Let us know how you like it. I may get this for my wife's bike.

One thing to keep in mind when going to smaller chainrings is that your front derailleur has to be moved lower down to achieve the specified 1mm clearance to the big ring. With a clamp-on, no problem, but I guess it could be an issue for a bike with a "braze-on" type mounting point. Again, since my bike was designed for it, the frame mount is installed with that adjustment range in mind. Otherwise, seems like it might present a problem with a carbon-frame bike!
I got bit by that problem with my 1987 Bianchi. For awhile, I had that IRD 46/30T crank pictured in the first post mounted, and I had to shim the derailleur to get it to work (an ugly fix, to put it mildly). Ultimately, I opted for the most elegant solution: A 52-42-30 triple with the corresponding front derailleur (Athena 11-speed).