View Single Post
Old 04-27-19, 08:55 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rnothog
Someone from someplace sunny always has to chime in. So permit me...

Triple digit day here in Phoenix. One of the first of many. Got in 20 miles before noon. It was about 90 by the time I started, and 93 when I finished. My old bones and fake hips like the heat. I don’t mind it too much until it gets north of 105...and it always seems there’s about 3 to 4 months of that...

Weather gets you one way, or another, but I prefer not shoveling it.
I live where cold is the way of life and I’ve adapted.

Cycling track near Abu Dhabi

But I was recently cycling in the UAE which has a climate much like Phoenix- with beaches. While I was there it seldom got above 40C and I found it reasonably comfortable to ride up to about the high 30s. I was amazed by their developing cycling infrastructure. They had numerous paved cycling tracks, some 30 - 40 km long, that wound through the desert and were lit their entire length by solar powered lighting. Dubai itself (one of the 7 Emirates) has plans for 800km of such trails, although I doubt they’ll be lit the whole way. Seems to me the ideal way for people is very hot climates to be able to enjoy cycling. Anything like that in AZ?