Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
There are reasons people disagree.

Are you telling us that the lock down "helped" Smaller hospitals and medical practices? Are we to assume laying off Thousands of health care workers during a pandemic is the way to fight a war against that pandemic or can it be stated as a fact? Do you believe they are telling you the truth? Did New York run out of Ventilators or even need as many as they said? Did any hospitals have to turn patients away? Or did they have more than they needed and were able to send some to other states? Is this how we protect hospitals? https://www.salon.com/2020/04/18/cas...aff-shortages/
So it was a fact they were interested in saving hospitals for the populace? I still contend that is debatable. In most wars against something like this you don't send part of your army home. Small hospitals have real doctors and nurses as well and they are cutting staff. Not only that people act like there is no other sickness and people don't need cancer treatments right now. No thank you sir, I will stick with the assumption comparison. Because I remember the stated as fact, the Ice caps would be gone by now. I remember that the water was supposed to rise to flood Manhattan as a fact. I remember peak oil would be with us by the 70s then the 80s then the 90s then the 2000s. All these were facts when they were predicted. And yet they didn't come to pass. So if it doesn't happen is it a fact or an assumption? I admit at times I am a cynic but there is a reason for that. Climate change may get us or a real global pandemic or war, or they may not that is reality because no one Knows. But we can speculate how we will deal with the changes, and living like sardines doesn't seem to be the answer that the predictions promised it would be. Not a prediction and not scientific but an opinion of why I call some things assumptions. https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/50-ye...erts-are-0-50/ By the way I don't believe people standing in the corner with a sandwich board saying the world is coming to an end either. None of that has much to do with how we will have to deal with transportation needs in an age of Corona type pandemics. For me I wouldn't ride a bus loaded like they used to be or a subway during next flu season let alone a Covid 19 season coming back. My view doesn't have to match yours but it is my view.
It's a big assumption that we are in "an age of corona type pandemics". Isn't that just one more apocalyptic prediction? This one will pass, and people have short memories.

Last edited by cooker; 05-05-20 at 08:31 PM.