View Single Post
Old 04-23-05, 02:42 PM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
Two or three pairs of bicycle pants?

I take one pair. I wash them every night, along with my only jersey. The jersey always dries by morning; the chamois crotch pad may be a bit damp, but body heat dries it out quickly.

I carry a tube of crazy glue and a foot of Velcro. On my first big trip, my plastic map case, which attaches to the aero-bars, was flapping around. To secure it in place, I attached two squares of Velcro to the bottom of the map case, and their matching pieces to the top of my aerobars.

I also carry dental floss, and not just in the interest of oral hygiene! When my rear rack broke, I wrapped it with floss and sealed it with crazy glue.
I'm pretty much the same on all counts. I tend to skimp on clothes before most everything else, and I also only bring one pair of shorts. And crazy glue is indeed useful! I had to repair my glasses once on the road with it, and duct tape would have been wrong for that particular job, since they were really done in. Floss, I bring for oral hygiene. I haven't really used it creatively yet.

Oh, and naisme, for water, I tend to fill up in towns, but I also have an MSR filtration pump that attaches to my nalgene bottles, with which you can collect and clean stream water to drinkable grade, assuming there's no DuPont plant right nearby or anything. Tablets work too, and take less space.