Old 02-22-20, 07:26 PM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
I’m looking for good riding and a place that I can ride my bicycle from my house to grocery store and back without getting run over. What I’ve been finding is in the small TX towns so far is the main HWY goes through the center of the town at 35 to 45 mph with the shopping lining the HWY with no bike lanes or little or no shoulders. Yes I have and will keep a car and a motorcycle. But will need to keep up my cycling. If I can jump on my bicycle to pop over to the hardware store, grocery, and the like it’ll be fun and easier to keep my fitness.
You may be in for a problem. Smaller towns don't have much in the way of amenities. I live in Dripping Springs. There is a lot of great hill country back roads, but I would not ride to HEB or Home Depot, they are on main and very unsafe streets. But I can drive to downtown Austin in 30+ minutes depending on the time of day. Austin has a lot of bike trails and they are expanding all the time. Soon you will be able to take a bike trail from Austin to San Marcos.

You may want to try Fredericksburg, Boerne or Kerrville.