View Single Post
Old 03-15-20, 05:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Nemosengineer that's pretty special. Let us see it as it progresses.

Today I had a big success with our tandem. Last year, I changed the rear hub, rear derailleur, cassette, chain, and shifter. I left the front derailleur and shifter as they were. The drivetrain was originally 3x7, and the change was to 11-speed in the rear. The shifter and derailleur are absolutely outstanding, but the 11-speed chain did not work well with the 7-speed crankset. Whenever I shifted down from the big chainring, the chain fell between the big and middle chainrings. It almost threw us off the bike every time. My spouse told me not to shift it while we rode it until I've fixed it. I got advice in the Mechanics section, and it sounded like the best bet was to use a more modern crankset.

So I went from this Shimano crankset to this Campagnolo 10-speed. And the whole swap was fairly easy.

I had changed the big chainring recently. Originally it was 28/38/48, and I replaced the 48 with a 54. That didn't make the shifting better or worse.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: