View Single Post
Old 06-25-19, 06:38 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
So what shoes do you ware on tour but of of the bike?

My SPDs are pretty comfortable to walk in but I really like to get out of them off the bike. When I am touring say on the GAP and it is going to be warm and I know I will not be walking much I just take a pair of sandals. That way they double as shower sandals.

Other times, What I used to take was my New Balance athletic shoes that I wear every day. Very comfortable but bulky and heavy. Lately I have been taking a very light weight "athletic" shoe I found online. They are really more of a slipper with laces. Really comfortable for lounging but not much good for long distance walking.

This year if the cards work out right I will be doing a side trip to Rainer (via automobile) and I certainly might want to do some walking at the Columbia River Gorge and Mt Hood. I am afraid those light weight shoes could be a problem.

So what do you wear off bike?
it seems to me that you have answered your own question really.
I too have taken very light simple "running shoes" that were both inexpensive in price, but not really good for much walking. They were fine for what I used them for, cost me 25 canadian bucks or something at a clearance place, but the cheapness of them showed up in not having proper arch support etc, so for more walking they were not very good.
I took better quality running shoes next time and appreciated them for when I walked more.

it seems to me that its pretty simple--a more comfortable shoe to walk/hike in is just going to weigh more, and you have to evaluate what your priorities are.
I personally wouldnt take my cheap but light shoes again, unless I really was not going to be walking around much, and while I forget the diff in weight I was dealing with, probably 150-200 grams, if your feet will be more comfortable in heavier ones, so be it.