Thread: Snow Tires On!
View Single Post
Old 10-15-18, 07:10 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,684 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by esmith2039
Still need to get some cleats or other studded footwear!
Cleats or studded footwear are on my radar.

Before my first winter with studded tires I still was unsure about them, as I had no experience with them. I had mounted them and waited for icy conditions. The first Saturday with icy roads I rode the first half of one of my commute routes, gaining confidence with every new icy street.

After a long, steep icy climb I was sold except for stopping down-hill. As I stood astride my bike facing a steep downhill I was hoping, praying that I could come to a full stop on a steep icy downhill. I let my bike build a little speed and gingerly applied the brakes, slowing to a crawl. Then I released the brakes, building a little more speed and slowing again, confidence building back up.

With bated (and frosty) breath, I allowed the bike to build up speed again, even faster, and came to a perfectly drama-free full-stop on a steep icy downhill! I was elated! And then I put my foot down...

I didn't fall, but almost, as my foot slid on ice like a Zamboni before I lifted back onto a pedal and pulled up next to the curb.

I am now, careful not to place too much weight on my foot when stopped on an icy hill, but the smart thing would be to figure on some cramp-ons or something.